Thursday, January 01, 2009

Strat Cards




I've spent a little time these last two weeks going thru the boxes and sacks of SOM cards you have so graciously donated. And let me tell you... rubber bands suck.

There's still a lot of work ahead cataloging and seeing how many complete sets I can put together. And beyond that, I really don't have a plan of where this all goes.

Here are a couple of pics of the vast amount of cards I have been going thru. The plastic boxes with the colored tops (66 total) are all full and divided up by years. The loose stacks on the table are the ones I have gone thru recently. They are stacked by years. All the rubber bands are gone, but many cards were damaged by them. Apparently cheap rubber bands begin to melt to the cards within 2-3 years. Even good rubber bands go bad after 5-6 years. Of course it also has something to do with how and where they are stored.

I suspect there will be 2-3 complete sets of all years 1998 and later, and at least 1 complete set of the years before that. I don't even know what years I have anymore. I know original cards go back as far as 1971, with quite a few from 1984 on, and sporadic amounts for 1971 to 1983. And there are reprints of many different years prior to 1971. Most of those should be complete sets. I am using ziplock snack-size bags to store them by teams.

If any of you want to come by and help sometime, you are welcome to. :o)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

3 words = You are crazy

btw- unfortunately we found out the same thing about rubber bands around our stacks of almost 10,000 baseball cards dating from the late 50's.

RICH D said...

Email me , I am interested in the entire collection!!
MICK7NY@GMAIL.COM

RICH D said...

EMAIL ME AT MICK7NY@GMAIL.COM
I AM INTERESTED IN THE ENTIRE COLLECTION AND WILL TRAVEL TO PICK UP AND PAY FOR IT.