Thursday, July 10, 2014

Computer Managing





Something I like: The schedule includes off days so every team isn't on the same number game. That adds some realism, I think.

Something I don't like: Hal LOVES the hit and run. And it doesn't matter which setting you put for the H&R, Hal is still going to use it maybe 4-5 times a game between the two teams. If the leadoff batter reaches first, and the next hitter is a H&R B, it's a guarantee. At first I thought it was Hal's way of trying to offset the quality pitcher on the mound, but I tried it in a game between two old Warpig teams. With a crappy pitcher on the hill, Hal still attempted the H&R in the first inning with a .343 hitter at the plate. I would say Hal just stereotypes the #2 hitter, but I saw him hit and run with Ted Williams in the 3 hole WITH ONE OUT! And this was using Teddy Ballgame's 1941, .406 card. I just don't get it.

Something I did wrong: Half of the teams have only 6 pitchers. This was mostly out of necessity, as I used every available HOF pitcher except one. (Herb Pennock, whose election into the HOF is a mystery to me. Even though he pitched for Murderer's Row, he only won 20 games twice and ALWAYS gave up more hits than innings pitched.) There were also a handful of HOF pitchers from before 1900, and I don't have those seasons. I'm not even sure they exist in SOM. But to my point, a team with only 6 pitchers has a dilemma. Hal appears to be going with primarily a 5-man rotation, leaving only 1 guy to relieve. And on a couple of these teams, the 1 guy is a true reliever. I watched Dennis Eckersley go 8.1 innings today after Randy Johnson got lit up in the 1st. The teams with 7 pitchers don't have this dilemma. I'm going to remove the 5th SP from the CM and see if Hal goes with a 4-man rotation, leaving 2 guys to relieve.

1 comment:

Pigman said...

Another example that just happened... Bottom of the 1st inning: Ty Cobb lines out. Honus Wagner singles bringing up Babe Ruth with Lou Gehrig on deck. What happens? Ruth is called on to hit and run. It's a fielder's choice. Gehrig then homers.