Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Early Season Jitters


Thru the first 18 games of the HOFL season, the surprise team at the top of the standings is the Chicago Legends, who have won their last 6, sweeping both the NY PreThirties and the Philadelphia ThirtyForties.

Let me explain quickly how I approach the games. I pick one of the five games each day to watch and set the other four games on auto. Then I choose the spectator option and just let the game go. I've tried to watch some of all the teams. I got to see Mays and Mantle homer in the same inning. In fact, except for missing a 1-12 BP HR, Aaron would have matched them in the inning. I was also watching when Philly's Hal Newhouser loaded the bases in the top of the 9th against Chicago with the score tied at 5. The last batter's walk tired Newhouser, but Hal (our Hal) decided to let him stay in to face McCovey. Big mistake. McCovey hit a grand slam. But the best game I watched was such typical Strat. Brooks Robinson of the Baltimore Stars (3b-1e14) made 3 errors in 1 game, including TWO in the top of the 10th inning, allowing 2 unearned runs. Brooks was saved in the bottom of the 10th when Reggie (Reggie! Reggie!) Jackson hit a walk-off 3-run homer.

There are some game events that will automatically save the box score of a game when they occur. In one game I wasn't watching (although the out of town scoreboard let me know), Chicago came back from an 11-3 deficit with an 11-run 8th inning to beat Philly. Dizzy Dean, Bob Lemon, and Lefty Gomez allowed 12 consecutive hits or walks in that inning. In another game, Boston lost a game 13-6 despite getting 20 hits. Harmon Killebrew of Detroit had a 3-homer, 7 RBI game against Boston (all off of Tom Glavine) and lost because Rickey Henderson went 5-6 with 3 homers of his own.

The offensive numbers are staggering. The pitchers are having a tough time keeping up. Of course, they're working without a bullpen for the most part. The bigger problem might be the setting of "deadball", which keeps the SP in longer. At some point in the season, I may have to consider some setting adjustments. Here's an example:



For now, I think I will look to do some small team adjustments every 36 games or so. Things like seeing if the batting order could use an adjustment... Seeing if some pitcher is being under- or over-used.

More tomorrow.

No comments: