Saturday, June 14, 2014

College Baseball

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I don't understand college baseball.

Game 1 of the College World Series just started. UC-Irvine vs Texas. First inning, UC-Irvine gets their leadoff hitter on 2nd thanks to an error. The Anteater coach then calls on his #2 hitter to sacrifice the runner to third. He just gives away an out from a guy good enough to bat second on a CWS team. His bunt is successful and the runner goes to third - where he is stranded. We learn at this time that the #1 and #2 ranked teams in all of college baseball in terms of my sacrifice bunts are the two teams playing right now.

Bottom of the 1st. The Longhorn leadoff batter walks. The #2 hitter, of course, is asked to bunt him over. The starting pitcher for Irvine is pretty jittery, though, and walks him on 4 pitches. So now it's first and second, no outs, and Texas' best hitter is up against a guy struggling to find the strike zone. So what happens? He sacrifices the runners over on the first pitch - where they are stranded.

A quote from the UC-Irvine head coach: "I go in to every game wanting to win 1-0. And if I can't do that, I want to win 2-1."

I just don't understand college baseball.

2 comments:

The HEAD INMATE said...

I'm with you. But, I also don't understand MLB sometimes, either. Let's say it's the last of the 7th, bases loaded and one out. The team on the field is ahead 5-4. Seems to me this is a situation for the BEST pitcher in the bullpen. But NOOOOO! We have to save hime to close the 9th, when he'll start the inning in a no-stress, no clutch situation.

Hmmm...

Pigman said...

My theory is that a baseball coach - like a college/high school football coach - isn't satisfied to win. They have to be the REASON they won. The FFTs and I have discussed this before. It's like it isn't enough to have the best players.

As for MLB, that's entirely a way of keeping your job, I think. You "play it by the book." If it works out, great. If it doesn't, it's not the manager's fault because he did what he was "supposed" to do. If you don't take any risks, you're covered.

By the way, Texas lost 3-1 and left like 11 men on base. Of course, they gave away several outs by bunting. It's funny, the announcers say that "runs are at a premium" and that's why they bunt so much. Maybe runs are at a premium BECAUSE they bunt so much.