Sunday, April 13, 2008

Paying Attention

Team A gets results from team B via email, with this comment from the team B owner: "I either went 3-2 or 2-3 against you. I'm not sure because I wasn't paying attention."

Then, when looking at the box scores, team A's manager realizes team B didn't even pay attention long enough to get the starting pitcher or lineups right.

If team A and B were fighting for a playoff spot, and the mistaken lineup glitch cost team A some valuable wins... should the game(s) be replayed? Was team B cheating or just ass-wipin' negligent?

What if team A and B were cellar dwellers and the outcome of the game(s) in question had no bearing on the pennant race? Is ignorance-induced apathy okay under those circumstances?

On the other hand, what if team B was trying to throw games to get a better draft spot and actually LOST the game(s) in question?

I know mistakes happen, but if you're going to ANNOUNCE that you weren't paying attention, then you're an idiot. I was reminded of the time a team got results back where a reserved pitcher who only had a computer card made an appearance.

Your thoughts?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

COMMMMMMMOOOONNNNNNN!
That is just plain shitty. If playing games is that big of a chore(even if your team is sucky and believe me I've been there!) maybe one should get another hobby.
Even if you have no chance in hell, you should be more conscientious and respectful of the game and your opponent.
That is my two cents, understated as usual hehehehe
ssws

The Chief said...

Sometimes I'm not in the mood or frame of mind to play strat. So I don't. Perhaps this is a situation where a manager needed to say "i'll deal with these games later"

Anonymous said...

I can roll games face to face and not know what the series score is. I only care about the one I'm currently rolling.

I do usually figure it out after the series is done. It's kind of part of the whole 'doing stats thing.'

Clean install of cdrombb seems to be holding up. Maybe I can keep up with games this year without farming out my season for the first time in two years! lol

Anonymous said...

dd ^

Anonymous said...

My thought is that whoever invented drunk chicks with big boobs deserves a medal of some kind.