Saturday, July 21, 2007

Verities and Balderdash

During the Cub game today on TV, the celebrity to throw out the first pitch and sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" was comedian Dennis Miller. They had him in the booth for the bottom of the 7th and part of the top of the 8th. And I swear, if I had to listen to him for any longer, I would have gouged my ears with an ice pick. He is so insufferable. I can't believe they put him on the Monday Night Football team for a year.

Diana was looking over my shoulder the other day while I was looking at a SOMBB box score and game summary from a game between the Warpigs and the FFTs. She wanted to know what it meant when it said, "RICK jumped on TERRY early."

I'm very sorry to hear about Dave losing his mother. I lost mine right after our draft in 1998, and it was a very difficult time. Our thoughts here at Big Innings are with you, Nadman.

It might be too early, but someone let me know when we can laugh about Dave being "out of pocket." Has he been IN pocket this year? I am still awaiting a return phone call or return email from the number of times I have contacted him this year. His record on the Standings Update is still 0-0. And oh crap, NOW he's going to be hard to get hold of. Great.

The Mavman and the Zapper are BOTH undergoing hernia surgery. Can it be far behind for the Pigman? You guys get well soon.

Speaking of the Mavs, I don't know if you noticed, but on the Yahoo Tracker page, the Mavs have put both John Maine and Derek Jeter on the blocks. I can't imagine Jeter on another team. Well, I CAN, but it would be mine. LOL. In fact, Jeter was originally a Pig. Drafted by the Warpigs as an uncarded prospect in 1995, he spent a year on the old 2-man before being traded at the start of the 1996 season to the Mavs. The deal was Jeter, John Burkett, a 1st, 3rd, and reserve in the '97 draft and a 1st and reserve in the '98 draft for Eric Hanson and the rights to draft Hideo Nomo. Looks extremely lopsided now, but Nomo helped win the Pigs the '96 title by going 25-8, 2.26 and throwing a complete game in the clinching World Series game 6 victory over the Pastas... And even though that's pretty much all we got from Nomo, we'll take the trade off.

Any other players on the board? You can post them here if you want. The Oilers mentioned having excess at 2b and cf.

If the Warpig 2008 outlook doesn't improve soon, we'll put Manny Ramirez and Billy Wagner on the block. Inquire within.

There were a couple of statistical oddities a few nights ago. I believe the day was July 18. The Marlins used 6 pitchers to throw a shutout that night. As far as I can tell, that ties a NL record for most pitchers used in a shutout. The Kansas City A's used 7 pitchers in a shutout for the ML record. Also that night, Sammy Sosa left 10 men on base in the Ranger win. I don't know what the record is, but 10 is a lot.

That's all for now. More later.

No comments: