Sunday, July 01, 2018

NASOMA Career Stuff

Okay, I've reached a temporary stopping place, so let me explain what I've been doing.

On the main webpage, there are now three links to NASOMA Heroes information: career batting stats, career pitching stats, and career category leaders.

Now, the hitter list (41 hitters) and the pitcher list (50 pitchers) have some flaws...

For one thing, older stats are not always available. The first yearbook was 1988. The only pre-1988 teams with complete stats going back to their first years are the FFTs (1980), the Oilers (1981), the Inmates (1986), and the Warpigs (1987). The Buckeyes are close, only missing stats from 1985.

Another problem is the great number of missing stats from teams after the start of the yearbooks. There are a few, unfortunately.

Also, it doesn't help that the format of the stats differed from year to year early on. It made things a little tricky. Even trickier was finding players, what with the transient nature due to trades and the fact that good players who have bad years are often just not rostered.

My choices for the 91 players done so far weren't always good choices. For example, I really thought Bruce Hurst, Dave Stewart, and Dave Stieb would have more than 6 years of stats. And Jamie Effing Moyer spent 25 years in MLB, but only 9 in NASOMA - and those 9 sucked big time. Imagine how bad he was on the cards we didn't use. But whatever, I'm not going to just delete all that work. I will be adding more, however, and your suggestions help. Already on the "next up" list: Delgado, Damon, Grace, J.Gonzalez for the hitters; and I wrote down the names of a buttload of pitchers (R.Martinez, Benes, Rijo, J.Howell, etc.) who hopefully won't disappoint. Please send me suggestions.

And finally, be aware that I have not done stats for current players (okay, except for Pujols, Beltre, and Miggy - but in my defense, I did them early on, and again, I'm not going to just delete all that work. I'll just have to remember to add any future stats they have). So, when you see the career leaders, be aware that some active players may have better numbers.

Check out the links and enjoy the trip down nostalgia lane.

No comments: