Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Baseball

Scattershooting while wondering whats up with the REDS this year!

I'm finally getting around to writing about my favorite moments in baseball. This red ink is my way of paying a bit of homage to the Cincinnati Reds!

Herman, this is for you!

Fungoes began watching baseball in 1968. My dad was a big fan of baseball and he was stationed at Wright Patterson AFB (Ohio), and so, he was a Reds fan. You would think that would make me a Reds fan too wouldn't ya? Nope. The Tigers won the World Series that season and my lifelong love for the Detroit Tigers began! Sorry Judy!

Al Kaline, Norm Cash, Bill Freehand, Mickey Stanley, Jim Northrup, Denny McClain and Mickey Lolich....those guys became my heroes!

One of my favorite things about baseball? Going to Reds games with my dad. He would keep score during the game. That's how I learned how to keep score, and that comes in handy for anyone in NASOMA!

I watched a guy named Johnny Edwards catch for the Reds until he was replaced by Johnny Bench. I saw another of my heroes play live as well, that was Pete Rose. Wouldn't it be great to be able to watch those guys play again in their prime?

I one time dove/fell out of the stands for a foul ball at Arlington Stadium at a Rangers game.......after I got up I retrieved that ball, but I didn't get to keep it. I was given the choice of keeping it and leaving the game or giving it back and staying for the rest of the game......it was an easy choice.....but the usher got an ear full from the future Owner of the Warpigs!

I was in attendance when Nolan Ryan picked up K number 5000! Thanks Rick!

I watched the All-Star game in 1995 at the Ballpark in Arlington. Thanks Jose!

I was in attendance when Kenny Rogers pitched his perfect game! That was awesome!

I was in attendance at Arlington Stadium for the very first home game of the Texas Rangers! In that game, the first major league hit ever at Arlington Stadium was a mammoth two-run homer hit by Frank Howard! The Rangers won that game 7-6 over the Angels.

The one time I ever pulled for the Yankees? When Don Mattingly was wearing pinstripes. He was great but they sucked!

The one time I ever pulled the the Padres? Well, never I guess....certainly not 1984!

What was my biggest Baseball thrill? Winning NASOMA Championship in 2006, of course!

What else is awesome about Baseball? I've been to games with Herman Wheeler, and that's something I'll never forget......

I Love ya Herman!

Derek

No comments: