Saturday, May 24, 2008

About Today...

Today was Herman's funeral, and I feel the need to make a comment or two...

First of all, I don't have very many Strat-O memories that don't somehow involve Herman. My first game in NASOMA was against the Oilers. As we did in my old league, I sat down NEXT to Herman for our first game. In his slow, country drawl, he looked me up and down and said, "What are you doing?"

The Higdon dive happened at the clubhouse pool by my old house and came as the result of a comeback victory over the Oilers. The cuckoo clock game was between the FFTs and the Inmates, but it occurred at Herman's house. I was there for both of those. Three times the Oilers ALMOST made it to the World Series, and two of those losses were against my Warpigs in last second comebacks.

Probably my favorite memory of Herman was at the draft in Louisville. Herman, Derek, and I arrived together at the airport and shared a taxi to the hotel. There was a nice looking, scantily clad girl on the curb as our taxi pulled away. Derek and I were both watching her when Herman spoke up: "She's got the right kind of legs. Feet at one end and pussy at the other."

I've never thought the same way about him since.

This past Tuesday, I had taken the day off from school so I could be home for the plumber. And since the plumber wasn't coming until 2:00, I emailed Herman asking if I could come visit in the morning. He replied that he would love to see me. And let me tell you, I am SO glad he did. We had a great talk. He was so worried about how he was inconveniencing everyone... and worried about his team and how it would be managed... things like that. I told him to stop worrying - but I didn't know what else to say. He was headed to the place we all want to go someday. The greatest of all places. There would be no more pain. No more worry. I don't know if my visit or our talk helped him - I hope it did - but I know it helped me.

A funny, telling moment from that visit: He had not been out of bed for 36 hours when I visited, but he wanted to get up and get in his chair that day. It took three of us, but we got him sitting up. Then it took several minutes for him to get his breath under control. And after all that, what do you think he wanted to do? Play some games. Too funny. Too sweet. We didn't, of course. Carolyn wasn't going to allow it anyway.

I left there that day so grateful that I had gotten to visit with him one more time, but knowing too that his time was short. I could not imagine him surviving many more days in that kind of pain and suffering. I called Derek as soon as I left and told him as much. Derek had seen him on Sunday and felt Herman was basically telling him goodbye that day.

Our visit Tuesday was the highlight of my week. Wednesday night (early Thursday morning, actually), Herman passed on. Quietly. In his sleep. I knew before getting up that morning that he was gone. I don't know how I knew, but I did.

I saw Carolyn and Glenn again on Friday. Dr. and Mrs. FFT are on vacation, but they arranged to have a ham sent to the Wheeler house. I was the delivery boy, and used my conference period at school to make the house call. The Wheelers were holding up well, and there was the sense of relief that our friend was finally free from the pain.

It was a wonderful funeral. At Herman's request, the program was broken down by innings - yep, there were nine of them. And it's not every day you attend a funeral where everybody stands up and sings "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch; but then, it's not every funeral that has music performed by the "Hee Haw Gospel Quartet."

I will scan or re-type the program and put that on Big Innings as soon as I can.

NASOMA was well-represented despite the FFTs, DVs, and Rhinos being out of town. Besides the Buckeyes and Tweeners, we also had Warpigs, Wahoos, Fungoes, Inmates, and Mavs. The spouses were all there as well (except for the Inmates who left his cats at home). Even the original MavGirl showed up to pay her respects. Former NASOMA owner Dennis Gray was there. The Zapper sent a beautiful spray of flowers. There was a spray of flowers from NASOMA as well.

Herman was laid to rest about 90 feet from my mother's gravesite. There's a bit of weird coincidence in that. Both my mother and Herman were born in 1938. My mother died in March of 1998, just over a month before she would have turned 60. Herman passed in May of 2008, just over a month before he would have turned 70. Herman married Carolyn, which was also my mother's name. And now they're the distance from home plate to first apart.

I don't know how it works with everyone else, but funerals make me step back and take a look at myself and my life. Will I be able to face things as stoically as Herman did? Do I have my ducks in a row with my family? With my friends? With God?

Sadly, right now the answer to all of these is probably no. I know I'm not an easy friend. It takes more effort to be friends with me than most people are willing to put forth, and it's entirely my own fault. As someone once told me, I tend to push people away. I'd like to say days like today will help me to change, but I also know I'm weak.

All I can promise is that I will try. I would hate to have a funeral and have no one come. (The Snakeman promised, assuming I die at a convenient time for him, to come to my funeral and bring a date. So there's two. He also volunteered to bring some strippers to make the turnout look larger.)

Anyway... somewhere in Heaven tonight, there are at least four guys sitting at a table rolling dice. I can hear it now: "Craaaack!" "Lift up your skirt, Margo!" "Mr. Wheeler, you're gonna get to watch me eat." and "What in the world is that?"

Rest easy, Herman. And stay in the good column.

9 comments:

The Chief said...

Very well said.

While mowing my yard this morning, I was thinking about the fact we have the Higdon, the Ab Wheeler Division and we need something to honor Herman.

And it came to me. Herman won the NASOMA manager of the year one time -- last year. But in all his seasons, his teams were always competitive and he was always VERY prepared. Win or lose, he was what we all wanted to be -- enthusiastic and ready to play.

So why not honor a manager who loved playing games as much as he did by naming our manager of the year award after him?

I know I'd be honored to be the 2008 Herman Wheeler Manager of the Year.

Anonymous said...

Nicely written Rick, when my eyes dry a bit I'll have more to write.

Garth, a great idea.

Herman, I know you're happy now and free from pain. I celebrate your life, but I miss you!

Derek

Patrick Shannon said...

I failed to mention it, but the lovely Kaity Wheeler also made the trip down for the funeral with her dad. And this after graduating from high school the night before. She has decided that being in Texas means too hot outside and too cold inside.

Anonymous said...

Great write up Pig Man. I wish I could have attended the funeral as well. We are all going to miss Herman; he was truly one of the nicest human beings I have ever met.

Don't worry Rick, I will attend your funeral if you go before me...you are a good guy (even if I take 2 out of 3 from you when my team blows and you throw your cards down in the hotel floor in disguist).

BeeBoy

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have paid my respects to the Wheeler family in person. I learned of the news Sunday evening while at Lake Murray.

Rolling dice with Herman... Nothing better! You will be missed, Herman.

dd

Anonymous said...

If strippers are going to be at the Warpigs funeral, I'm IN! In fact, I probably still have a couple of friends in the DFW area that would attend to ogle them- so that would help the turnout even further....

Patrick Shannon said...

The DVboy has a couple of friends? I find that hard to believe.

Anonymous said...

So I said 'probably' - and the lure of strippers could easy sway some of them to overlook whatever personality shortcomings I might possess.
(And notice I said 'might possess').

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting the anonymous link on Rick, now I can do a post.

Yes, I hate Sheral and I were gone.
Yes, I know Herman would have told me to go.
Yes, I will come to your funeral, if you go before me.
But if not, when I die, and am cremated, will do the Ernie Banks thing, have my last get together at Matt's like my 50th. and Hopefully my 60th.

I know J.R. is in good company.
Terry