Saturday, April 07, 2012

Computer Manager Issues

The problem I face with making a computer manager is not the options I have, it's the options I don't have.

For example, when doing detail work with the pitchers, you are given the option of "Max 6 (or 7) IP for start."

What I NEED it to offer is MINIMUM 5-6 IP for start with this pitcher.

Or just a "don't remove starter before reaching POW." I'm not convinced the "Slow hook" option will do that.

Another option is "IBB less with this pitcher." It seems to me that it would make more sense to offer "IBB MORE with this pitcher" for those unbalanced pitchers. If my pitcher is a 9L and a RH batter is up with 2-3 LH batters following, I want Hal to walk the righty and leave this pitcher in. I still can't fathom a reason for clicking on "IBB less."

And on the hitter list of options, I want one that uses the Tweener quote, "never pulled him, never will."

But mainly, I just don't trust the logic Hal uses. I recently played a game between my Warpig team and my team from the I-75 league. I created CMs for both, then I selected the SP and the lineups, but I let Hal manage the game.

In the 4th inning of one game, Hal removed Felix Hernandez (slow hook was checked). Felix is basically the only good player on that team and wasn't in any kind of major trouble in the game. Hal replaced him with Dave Pauley, a right-handed 9L pitcher with the option AVOID RIGHTIES clicked. The batter he was brought in to face? Hanley Ramirez.

In another game, in the 6th inning, Hal brought Chris Denorfia in to pinch run at first for Alberto Callaspo in a tie game. Now, Denorfia is a *, and Callaspo is not... but the hold made Denorfia a 1-12 stealer (which Hal didn't even attempt). And to make matters worse, with Sean Rodriguez already used, Callaspo had no replacement at 3b. Even weirder, Hal didn't leave Denorfia in to play 3rd, he brought in Mike Carp. It made no sense.

These are a few of the reasons why I hate playing CM games.

No comments: