Thursday, April 01, 2010

April Fools Update

First of all, I want to thank all of you for making an otherwise boring Thursday a fun one. The little Wahoo got the benefit of playing Tom Sawyer going to his own funeral. I especially enjoyed getting the gullible Bees for the second year in a row.

Now... on to other things...

The NASOMA Rosters are posted on the website. All depth charts are updated, too. Please check both for errors and let me know. If you have gained or lost 2011 draft picks already, those are noted on your depth chart.

I think the weirdest thing was having no trades made during the weekend. None. Nada. Zero. Or at least there were none reported.

Somebody asked me the other day if there is ever a list of the cuts. There has not been a list like that, to my knowledge. Until now. Of the 30 players cut (the Mavs passed on his last two picks and didn't have to make cuts), almost half (14) were protected on pre-Draft rosters. Of the 16 draft picks cut, the earliest pick was Russell Branyan at pick 116. Here are the players cut after the 2010 Draft and the pick used to take them (those on pre-Draft rosters have an (R):

Warpigs - Lidge(171) and Martis(179)
Rhinos - Lindstrom(R) and Fontenot(157)
Wahoos - F.Morales(184) and Marson(192)
SuperGoofs - Troncoso(150) and Ortiz(182)

DVs - Lowell(R) and Lowrie(R)
FFTs - I.Rodriguez(R) and Ojeda(R)
Fungoes - Ibanez(R) and E.Patterson(151)
Drillers - Wagner(124) and Villanueva(140)

Buckeyes - Atkins(R) and Balfour(R)
Inmates - Clement(R) and Gamel(147)
Nads - Wellemeyer(175) and Gomes(183)

Sidewinders - Hermida(R) and G.Gonzalez(R)
Killer Bees - K.Wood(R) and Sheffield(180)
Tweeners - O.Cabrera(R) and Branyan(116)
Zaps - Encarnacion(R) and Inge(167)

Incidentally, NO team cut their last two picks. Thank God for the Tweener Rule.

There were 18 uncarded players taken in the Draft. One of those (Billy Wagner at pick 124 by the Drillers) was a cut. That leaves 17 new uncarded players to combine with the ones already on rosters. There were 11 uncarded players protected on pre-Draft rosters. One of those (Clement of the Inmates) was later cut. So there are 27 uncarded players on teams' reserve lists. Three of those are veterans (Webb and Glaus for the Nads; Sheets for the Rhinos).

The first round barely resembled my stab at a mock draft. I hit a few right on the nose, and I wasn't too far off on others. Here are the results:

1. Zobrist. My mock draft had the uncarded Desmond Jennings going here. It was not going to happen, but I needed to throw a little bait towards the Tweeners.

2. Bailey. I had Zobrist going here and Bailey going 4. Close.

3. Anderson. Nailed it.

4. Morales. I had Bailey here and Morales going at 5. Again, close. I bet the Mavs wish Morales had made it to 5.

5. Blanks. I don't know where I would have slotted Blanks, but it wasn't in the first round. I'm sure Blanks will prove me wrong.

6. Pineiro. I had the Goofs taking Feldman, so we'll call this "close." And by the way... Pineiro is EI, not IE. The Driller Dude fell back on his vague, whispy memories of grade school and came up wrong. Again.

7. Bergesen - My mock pick here was Pineiro, but I think the Fungoid had his heart set on Bergesen all along.

8. Coghlan - Nailed it!

9. Aardsma - I had the Zaps taking the best reliever. I said Gurrier; the Zaps said Aardsma. Close enough.

10. Feldman - Fungoes again. I had Correia here. Damn close.

11. Wuertz - Missed this one. I had no idea what the Snakeman would do here. He didn't appear to need much. I guess he needed another reliever.

12. Niemann - My mock draft pick in this spot was a joke, but it DID bring us a new example of NASOMASpeak: "Mike Stanton has a huge hole in his swing and struggles defensively" is NASOMASpeak for "I forgot I had Mike Stanton."

13. Desmond Jennings - In the mock draft, the Rhinos still owned this pick and I had him taking a reliever. Shortly after that posting, the Rhinos traded this pick to the Warpigs for the reliever he wanted. The Warpigs were elated to have Jennings still on the board.

14. R.Soriano - The Snakes were REALLY not satisfied with his bullpen. I assume he is now.

15. Correia - Trying to get inside the Buckeye head is impossible. I had him taking Randy Ruiz, which he DID... in the 4th round.

16. Calero - Nope. I was nowhere close again. The Buckeyes always know better.

Of the guys I had pegged for the first round, Gurrier (2nd Rd) and Ruiz (4th Rd) both ended up Buckeyes.

Time will tell who had the best draft, but at first glimpse... well, I guess it depends on what your draft goal was. The Buckeyes got some pretty good parts as did the Fungi. The Warpigs grabbed a lot of young talent. So did the Wahoos. The Snakes and Rhinos didn't have great drafts, but neither one needed to. Their teams were already set.

We'll revisit this during the summer to see who had the best drafts.

No comments: